Thursday 27 April 2017

Sunshine smells and friendly thoughts

haikuOur sitting room is shed in sunshine in the mornings.  If we have flowers (and we often do) on the coffee table, their smell can be overpowering at time with the heat of the morning.

Today was just such a morning, the stocks were a gift from a client of my partner's and they were proud of place in one of our best vases, and all the more gracious as their colours are so vibrant.

The regular check of emails and the large cup of tea was only interrupted by this incredible aroma and, as I closed my eyes to sunshine letting it wash my morning bones, the added sensations of the scent allowed me to forget the troubles of the past few weeks in a way that that I hadn't done for a number of years.

Funny how old habits return and the mind allows you to escape at the best of times.

My morning haiku today was inspired by this and remembering that escape can come in so many unexpected ways.

Early deep colours
Calm, sickly sweet aroma
Eyes shut, peace returns

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year, New Thoughts

Happy New Year everyone From this January I’m hopefully going to bring you more content on the delights of social eating and entertaining, ...